lightning dangers

From time to time, someone will mention that it's dangerous to take a
shower during a lightning storm. I'm assuming the idea is lightning could
strike a tree or the ground nearby just as I put my hand on the tap. This
doesn't seem like a terribly high risk to me, as I tend to think of
plumbing pipes as generally being rather well grounded. But let's hear what
you think. Is this an urban myth? Has anyone heard of any actual cases of
electrocution this way? Carl

Dr. Carl E. Mungan, Assistant Professor http://www.uwf.edu/~cmungan/
Dept. of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514-5751
office: 850-474-2645 (secretary -2267, FAX -3323) email: cmungan@uwf.edu