Re: Radioactive Boy Scouts and Smoke Detectors

At 10:44 4/26/99 -0400, Hugh Haskell wrote:
... Am-243 decays by alpha emission to Np-239, which decays by
beta-minus to Pu-239, which can fission, but which requires several
kilograms to generate a "critical mass". (I realize that the smoke
detectors use Am-241, but I didn't have data on that radioactive chain
readily available.)...
Hugh

Here's a snapshot of the natural series involving 241Am

Plutonium
241Pu emits 21keV beta half life 13.2 yr
Americium
241Am emits 5.48MeV Alpha 1/2 462 yr
Neptunium
237Np emits 4.8 MeV alpha 1/2 2.2 Myr
Protactinium
233 Pa emits 0.57MeV beta 1/2 27.4 day

Thence thru Uranium, Thorium, Radium, Actinium, Francium,
Astatine, Bismuth etc....

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK