From: Martha Takats <mtakats@ACAD.URSINUS.EDU>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Monday, April 12, 1999 9:36 AM
Subject: jumping ring demo

Would someone point me to an explanation of the jumping ring demo?
This is the one where you put a nonmagnetic (aluminum) ring over the
core of an electromagnet and plug the electromagnet into an AC
outlet. The ring jumps vigorously off. My attempts at analysis
do not give me a net force in the direction of decreasing field, though
there clearly is such a force--if you try to hold the ring in place,
there is a noticeable force trying to make it jump off.
--
Martha Takats
Department of Physics and Astronomy