Re: Suggestions for new astronomy course

This was a recent question:

My main question - we have some funds to buy telescopes. My plan is to get
two (for a class of 30 students) Dobsonian mount telescopes. I don't think
I could effectively handle more than 2 telescopes at once and I think that
for class observations that the Dobsonian mounts are the most cost
effective. Any suggestions on the size, eyepieces, other accessories, or do
you think that the Dobsonian mounts would be ineffective?

In my experience, 30x zoom telescopes (commonly called birding telescopes) are
more useful for an intro course for non-science majors. They are less
expensive,
the students can learn to use them on their own and they have erect images.
They
are great for moon features, moons of Jupiter, the Pleides and etc.

* Nick C. Steph *
* Franklin College *
* Department of Physics *
* Franklin, IN 46131 *