Re: blackboard or whiteboard?

We have white-boards in our labs and chalkboards in the classrooms.
Teaching the 'liberal-arts' physics class I manage to avoid writing very
much at all on the chalkboards, but in lab the white boards get used a lot.
The MAIN problems with the white boards are:
1) The markers dry out easily (especially if left uncapped). I have bought
my own set, keep them in a box for only my use.
2) Because you can use color (an advantage), you therefore are tempted to
do so (a disadvantage). That is, I'm always going back to the box for a
different color marker or trying to juggle four different markers in my
hands.
3) The most visible color is obviously black, but the black markers are
really difficult to erase. Actually, once they have set in for several
minutes, most of the colors don't erase that well. Probably not AS bad as
writing over an erased chalkboard though.

My lab is directly across from a classroom with a large chalkboard, and we
recently started optics (in lab only), but it invariably happens that the
one time a year when the house-keepers actually clean the
erasers is the day before I want to show the laser beam with chalk-dust!
;-(

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE
see descriptions at: http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/

Win9.x,NT versions of The Animated Chalkboard,
U.S. Energy Simulator, and data analysis software now available.