Re: sugar vs. salt

L. R. Cartwright (Larry) wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Norman Lohstreter wrote:
S L O W L Y heat the mixture the lower MP of the sugar will allow the
seperation by decantation or heated filtration. The molten sugar can
then be recrystalized.

If you actually try to do this, you discover something interesting: NaCl
is fairly soluble in molten sucrose. That which doesn't dissolve is so
entrapped by the gummy sucrose syrup that physical extraction is for all
practical purposes impossible. BTW, melting sugar by slow heating is the
first step in the recipe for peanut brittle.

Best wishes,

Larry

Of course, you're right Larry. It's been 30+ years since my last
chemistry course and I guess I'm a little rusty. I had forgotten about
the solubility of NaCl in sugar. I did remember about the stickey mess
though. But, the task was to separate. :-)

thanks for the refresher is chem-101

Pete