Re: wave momentum

At 11:30 AM 3/16/99 -0700, Jim Green wrote:

I have long since given up on Feynman as a reliable source.
He does a fine job of illuminating the physics myths,
but a poor job of over throwing them.

That seems like a flaky argument, for two reasons:

1) I've heard Feynman accused of being *too* iconoclastic, but that's the
first time I've heard him accused of being not iconoclastic enough.

2) But suppose you are right. Suppose he is a mythographer. Suppose
indeed that he was the worst physics teacher of the century. That doesn't
mean that what he wrote in chapter II-27 is wrong.

As a matter of principle, we should avoid arguments of the form "a fool
told me the sun rises in the east, therefore it must not do so."

Can you point to any specific thing in chapter II-27 that is wrong physics?
If there is such a thing, I would love to add it to my bug collection.

Cheers --- jsd