Re: infrared images

Kodak did indeed make (probably still does) 35mm IR film. This film was
sensitive to the near IR region of the spectrum not the thermal IR.
With the appropriate filter you could shift the range of color recorded
from ROYGBIV to IRROYG. These photographs were used mostly for
detection of deseased folage and for some circulatory studies in
medicine.

The thermal IR photos that you have seen are taken with a special
thermal imager that operates at near cryogenic temperatures to eliminate
ambiant heat fogging of the image. There should be someone with the
power company that can send you to a source to borrow (rent) one. Power
companies generally have a thermal survey of the area served in order to
encourage homeowners of particularly leaky homes to insulate and reduce
heating bills.

Pete Lohstreter
(Former owner of H&L Photography)
Garland Texas

James McLean wrote:

Jim Braunsdorf wrote:

What does is it take to take heat images of a house for example to show
heat leaks? Is there an infrared sensitive film that can be loaded
into a regular 35 mm camera? Does it take a special camera?

I once had a regular 35mm camera that had a lens with markings for
focusing properly when taking IR pictures. I assumed that IR film was
available somewhere. Since the camera was not bought for (nor ever used
for) that purpose, I assume that the lens' IR capability was not
particularly special.

Of course, this is from memory, and it's possible I'm wrong about what
the markings meant.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu