Re: escape velocity question

Regarding John Mallinckrodt's observation:
Hmm... I just noticed that this is the speed of the electron in the first
Bohr orbit--i.e., the speed of light divided by the fine structure
constant.
do do
do do do do
do do ...

I think you meant that it is the speed of light *times* the fine
structure constant. The value of [alpha] is about 1/137. If I'm
interpreting your do's correctly maybe you're wondering if this
numerical coincidence has an underlying reason? If so that's a
very good question. White dwarfs are supported against gravity by
their electron degeneracy pressure. It is conceivable that there
is an underlying physical reason why the gravitational escape
energy of an electron from the surface of a white dwarf should
comparable to the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom. However,
I don't have the time right now to pursue the matter further and do
the needed calculations. In any event it *is* an interesting
observation.

David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu