Re: Waves

A mathematician would say that any function of x and t in which these two
variables appear together as z=x-v*t is a one-dimensional wave propagating
to the right along the x axis. For example:

y=A*sin(x-v*t), y=A*(x-v*t)^2 or y=exp(x-v*t)

Each of them satisfies the differential wave equation. Neither energy nor
momentum appear in the definition. Note that y can be any quantity: the
displacement, pressure, E or B. Even the probability of finding a particle.

Ludwik
Kowalski
Carl E. Mungan wrote:

...what is a wave? Maybe that's a good question to start with. Anyone care
to take a crack? In my mind, I was counting pulses as waves - after all, you

could Fourier compose many sinusoids to get a pulse. I am however ruling
out standing waves - there does have to be a net energy transport, hence a
traveling wave.