Re: wave momentum

brian whatcott wrote:
Carl Mungan wrote:
But what about mechanical waves? ...
Intuitively it seems a mechanical wave doesn't carry momentum since there's
no mass flow. A cork on the surface of the sea just bobs up and down (okay,
the bobbing is slightly circular, but never mind that).

Carl is undoubtedly teasing us.
We would undoubtedly be more comfortable with the oscillatory motion of
individual balls in the Newton's Balls demonstration, I'd think.
A liquid may not be able to sustain a transverse body wave, but it most
certainly propagates a longitudinal wave quite nicely.

True enough, but that doesn't really address Carl's question. I don't
see that a longitudinal wave carries any momentum either. The famous
"Maxell tape" poster notwithstanding.

(That's the poster/advertisement with a speaker (presumably at high
volume) producing a wind which blows on a guy in a easy chair, in case
I'm being too obtuse.)

I'm tempted to suggest that a wave carries momentum only when there is
no medium.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu