From: "JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION,
ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB ARGONNE, IL 60439" <JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Choice of Calculus Based Physics Book
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 2:15 PM

Hi all-
Don Boys says-
I have found that the sequence of text Understanding Basic
Mechanics by Fred
Reif, and Electric and Magnetic Interactions by Chabay and
Sherwood
make
an excellent two semester pai. Reif excels at developing problem
solving methods, and does so with very interesting
problems. Chabay
and
Sherwood, when used with the accompaning kit of parts gets
students
into
so very big ideas with very simple experiments. Both texts are
published
by Wiley. Chabay and Sherwood will be soon out in a new edition.
Don Boys, Physics
University of Michigan-Flint
**************************
Yeah, but you didn't say that your students enjoy reading
these
texts and always come to class having read their reading
assignments.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography