Science Text Literacy

I have been following the discussion of textbooks folks like to use and
note the comments always center on readability and accessibility to
students.

Does anyone explicitly include in class lessons things like
(1) how to read a science text
(2) how to make sense of all the diagrams
(3) how to integrate the practice problems with the text

If so, what are your goals and methodology? What successes and
frustrations have you experienced? How often do you revisit the reading
lesson or expand on the reading lesson?

If you do not explicitly teach text literacy skills, how do you
construct your course lectures in relation to reading assignments in the
text? Do you assign specific reading pages for before or after a
lecture or activity? Do you correlate text pages to problem
assignments and/or lecture schedule and leave it up to individual
students to choose to read or not?

Thank you for your patience with my curiosity and cross posting,

Ed Eckel
Georgetown Day School