Re: Quiz...need help!

Well, Larry if you want to put up a mirror site that could be useful. I
have ~100 MB free on my main server (and more than 1 GB on an alternate
server if necessary) so I can host all the files. Dwight, just let me
know and I have two hours tomorrow between classes to update my webpage
(more than enough time). You can mail them to me as attachments because
I am on a 100 Base T network and the bandwidth is OK for me to download.

I like Maurice's comments on security and yes that is the price that is
paid for the computerized system. At the University of Rochester (my
undergrad institute), they use CAPA (sp?) which is a computerized
homework system that randomizes the numbers in the problems for each
student. The student get into groups and do the homework. There is no
way to prevent cheating there but the exams are worked out on scrap
paper and answers entered by grader or just checked by answer key
(probably the former since it is more convenient than searching an
answer key). Sorry, forgot to mention that the exam questions are
computer generated and worked out in a traditional exam setting. The
work is also done on scrap paper for partial credit and the answer is
checked as I described above. There is no partial credit on homework
and the number of tries on the problems before a correct answer are kept
on record for review at the end if the student is on the border line
between grades (i.e. between A- and B+). It has its advantages for the
large classes actually being able to do homework for a grade and not
killing a grader (too many fluctuations with multiple graders).
However, there is the group work aspect and any other cheating. The
exams seem to separate these people pretty well. Sorry to open a can of
worms or Pandora's Box.

Sam Held