Re: First Law

At 12:02 3/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
I would like to update my First Law web page. There I consider the effects
of various actions on a system: piston, paddle wheel, propane torch, hot
plate, etc. I don't think I have included sufficient actions: all except
the hot plate and the piston are not reversible -- unless one invokes some
magic.

Can list members suggest a macroscopic (read mechanical) action beside the
piston which one could realistically consider reversible??? ...

Jim Green

I suppose I need to imagine some mechanism which can slowly exchange
pressure and volume without the agency of a piston, and without stirring up
bulk chaotic motion.
One thinks of a u tube with a closed end and a liquid in the u bend.
Or a drinking bird. But that is nothing less than a piston.
So I have to think big - very big.
Take a planet and melt its icebergs - the water vapor augments the volume;
chill it and the atmospheric volume falls?

No, this is not quite what is wanted, I fear.

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK