radio astronomy

Hi all-
I sent this message on the aether's wings: Can I get into radio
astronomy for less than $500?
The answer came back e-mail: Sure! Contact me at
jmlras@pop.mindspring.com - website www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/ras.html.
There was a telephone number, 770-992-4959 of a guy name Jeffrey
Lichtman. We had a delightful chat, and I'm ordering his two books. (Confession:
I get one free in return for this message).
Apparently the way to start (equivalent to binoculars for ordinary
astronomy) is to string an antenna in your back yard and hook it up to an old
short wave radio.
Hey, all you physics teachers out there, would this expose me to
lightning danger?
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography