Re: Electrostatics problem

Ludwig Kowalski wrote:

As many of you, I am soon going to start teaching electricity in the
introductory physics course. And I have two questions.

2) A flat sheet of metal will have charges distributed uniformly on
both surfaces (except near the edges). We bend the metal, to
make a ring, and the inner surface becomes neutral. Suppose
we bend it to start making a letter C. How much bending is
sufficient to make the inner surface practically neutral?

I suspect that a half circle will already be neutral inside (with
the density of charge less that 1% in comparison with what it
were for the flat plate). The same is probably true with very
little of bending. But I am not sure.

I have seen this statement elsewhere too, stating that for an OPEN
cylinder the inner (mathematically, this has no sense) surface
becomes neutral. But how can this be justified? I guess this is
just a kind of a rule of thumb,isn't?
Then I'd like to see some references, just to compare some numbers,
like your 1% above.

Regards,
Miguel A. Santos