Re: Electrostatics problem

Sorry, I am repeating my last post with some typos corrected:
( I also add the solutions to the 4 simultaneous equations):

Assumptions, previously proved theorems, and definitions:

The two parallel conducting plates are infinite in length and width (neglect
end effects).
Once electrostatic equilibrium is achieved, the E field inside each plate =
0
Once electrostatic equilibrium is achieved, non zero net charge resides only
as sheets of surface charge on the 4 plate surfaces.
A sheet of surface charge of density s(Coulombs/m^2) produces everywhere an
E field of s/(2*epsilon) - directed away from the sheet if s is positive and
toward the sheet if s is negative.
S1 = the net charge density on the left plate (the net plate charge divided
by the area of one side);
S2 = the net charge density on the right plate (the net plate charge divided
by the area of one side);
s1 = the net charge density on the left surface of the left plate;
s2 = the net charge density on the right surface of the left plate;
s3 = the net charge density on the left surface of the right plate;
s4 = the net charge density on the right surface of the right plate.

The problem:
Given S1 and S2, calculate s1, s2, s3 and s4

We need 4 equations to determine the 4 unknowns:
By definition:
(1): s1 + s2 = S1
(2): s3 + s4 = S2

The E field inside the left plate (due to the 4 sheets of charge) =0:
(3): (s1 - s2 -s3 - s3 -s4 )/(2*epsilon) = 0

The E field inside the right plate (due to the 4 sheets of charge) = 0:
(4): (s1 +s2 +s3 - s4 )/(2*epsilon) =0

The above 4 numbered equations determine s1, s2, s3 and s4, given S1 and S2.

The solutions are:

s1 = s4 = (S1 + S2)/2

s2 = - s3 = (S1 - S2 )/2

Bob Sciamanda