Re: I did not know this: balancing experiment

There are some commonly recognized anatomical differences between male and
female bodies. Several parlor tricks involving center of mass take
advantage of this. (for example, lifting a chair while leaning over).

The rotational inertia of a body about its point of support depends on the
location (r^2) and the mass (m). Different body configurations should
affect the balance stability. So does an obese person have greater
stability? I'm not sure that the previously mentioned effects aren't more
dominant, eg, fatigue. Karl

I'm wondering if the preponderance of males on this list might be making
you miss a big gender factor in the data. The first time I tried this I
was able to balance for 1 min, 45 sec -- and had to stop just because the
cleaner came into my office to empty the trash! (female, age 39,
right-handed, right foot)

***********
Mary Dussault
Universe! Education Forum
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street, M.S. 71
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 496-7962
FAX: (617) 496-5405
Email: mdussault@cfa.harvard.edu

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081