I did not know this.

Ask somebody to stay at rest on one leg for 30 seconds.
Most people will do this without trouble. (To "stay at rest"
means not to wiggle the suspended leg or arms by more
than two or three inches). Then ask that person to do the
same with closed eyes; it is a different story. Try it.

I wander how a blind person would perform. Probably
much better than most of us. The book I am reading
states that young people (below 60), on the average,
have much better balance than old people (over 70).
But this refers to their performance with open eyes,
I suppose. Is the closed eyes balancing also age related?
I am going to be 68 this year and my best try (out of first
ten) was about 12 seconds. Post your results, if you
want.
Ludwik Kowalski