Re: A question on inelastic relativistic collisions

Thanks, Sam, for your prompt response.

The arguments for the formulas I put up were made on the basis
that heat is not just pure Energy but also carries some momentum. When
Einstein and Planck (actually Planck first) made their calculations
based on the first law of thermo, they required a "fake force" that
carried the momentum. However, the first law considers heat to be pure
energy.

I thought this issue was resolved in the '50s, and the thermo community
decided that we would call energy "heat" only if it was in a state of
maximum entropy, i.e. totally disordered; i.e. energy becomes heat by
becoming disordered and the net momentum goes to zero. Ergo, if it's heat
then there's no momentum to consider. Am I missing something here?

D.L. Steinert "An evaluation of relativistic thermodynamics"
(Ph.D. thesis - 1969 - Mich. State)

I am not far from Mich. State, and should be able to get it there. Thanks
for this and all the other references. Another addition to my growing
summer "to do" list.

Another reason for so much confusion is trying to correctly
define heat and work. Also, what do we consider in the system. Ott
only considered a gas, while Planck and Einstein a gas and a container
(where I believe their force came from) It is very hard to understand
so I will let you read up on the material.

Darn, I hoped there'd be a quick and simple answer. I should have known
better. I have never been fond of thermo. It has always seemed like a
field full of ill-defined concepts accompanied by much hand-waving, like
there's something really fundamental we've never quite gotten to.

Any assistance anyone else can give would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright
Physics, Physical Science, Internet Teacher
Charlotte High School, 378 State Street, Charlotte MI 48813
<physics@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us> or <science@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us>