Re: All that glisters is not gold

At 8:25 AM -0600 2/12/99, paul o johnson wrote:

Brian: I think I see your point, i.e., your need to invoke the poynting
vector, but this seems to imply that a simple E field does not convey
energy. We all know that energy is stored in a simple E field, that the
energy density is proportional to the square of the field's magnitude,
why is that not sufficient to explain the (almost) immediate transport
of energy from source to load? Of course, it doesn't explicitly give the
rate of energy transfer.

poj

a simple E field 'CONTAINS' the energy. convey-ance of the energy requires
motion of charge and THAT makes it electro-magnetic !?

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936