Re: All that glitters is not gold

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:59:35 -0800 Paul Goodman <goodman@SMCCCD.CC.CA.US>
writes:
For years I've been telling my students what someone told me when I
was a student, that gold is the best conductor, followed by silver, then

copper. Well, a student showed me a table of resistivities of various
metals
in his text (Serway, 4th ed., p 777) and, low and behold, the order is
silver, copper, then gold.

According to the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics , Properties of
metals as Conductors.....

Resistivity in microhm-cm at 20 C are:

Gold 2.44 Silver 1.69 Copper 1.72

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where surface corrosion does not seriously affect resistivity of a
metal)