Off-topic - FW: A helpful hint for Netscape mail users. (fwd)

Hi all,
Here is an e-mail I received earlier today and thought many of
you might want to utilize since I get the impression that many people
are using Netscpae Mail. Also, if anyone wants it I received an alert
on the rise of Trojan Horses from CERT (Computer Emergency Response
Team). If there is enough interest I will post the URL for the alert to
these listserves. Sorry for those subscribed to both lists.

Sam Held
held@rhip.phys.utk.edu

Dear All,

Netscape has become a popular mail utility. However, those of
us
who don't use it sometimes receive garbled messages that have spurious
carriage returns or very long lines. This often results in unreadable
mail (unless we re-format it in our non-Netscape mailers).

For example, we might get a line like this from a friendly
Netscape user: Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of
their country, because four score and seven years ago, our forefathers
set forth on this continent a new country.

Tom Shea just called me with an explanation of this
problem and a fix. The problem is caused when a Netscape mail
user has expanded the width of their Netscape window beyond
80 characters. So, if you Netscape mail folks will be kind enough
to shrink the width of your window so that less than 80 character
lines are sent in your mail message, then the rest of us who
use "less modern" mailers will be very happy.

Thanks and happy e-mailing!

it's sometimes hard to see if you have a window which is actually 80
chars wide. Instead, I set the width in the preferences.

Go to preferences, then to "Mail & Groups", then to "Messages", then
check "wrap long lines at" and set 80 chars (I actually set 72 chars).

Then you don't depend on the actual window size.