From: JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION, ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB ARGONNE,
IL 60439 <JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Alternating Current

Reply to Mike Monce:
But the uncertainty principl is (delta f)*(delta T)=1, so the
differences
have already been taken. This is, by the way, the Heisenberg uncertainty
principle
in disguise.
There is another limitation having to do with the sampling interval
(the
Nyquist criterion) that can degrade the measurement before one reaches the
fundamental limit that is set by the Heisenberg relation.
If f = 1/t , then isn't delta f = delta t/ t^2 (ignoring the
minus sign)?? So if the interval is .01 sec and can be controlled, say,
to within a millisecond, then we get delta f = .001/ (.01)^2 = 10 Hz,
which explains the frequency seen; 120 +- 10 Hz.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College
Regards, Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography