Re: electrostatics hazards

I have just gotten a call from a HS teacher inquiring about the same in
regard to the Kelvin electrostatics generator, the one that works with
water drops. It seems that student in the up coming science fair has built
one and the organizers of the fair want to classify it as a dangerous
machine.

The summer AAPT session in Lincoln had a very nice kelvin machine which was
left unattended in the hall where the odd passerby could fill the upper can
up and see the thing operate. It had a very nice set of bells that would
ring when the charge was developed. I do not recall a single instance of
paramedics being called out to rescue the enthousiastic observers.
Although I recall that few people were willing to touch anything on the
device.

Anyway, it inspired me to build my own contraption out of Walmart stainless
steel bowls and PVC pipe. I even built the little bell deal (had to use
bicycle handlebar bells). The thing works - the bells ring merrily - but
the charge isn't much. You can't even get a visible spark out of the
thing. So I would question its classification as a dangerous device.

Glenn