Re: First Law (now perpetual motion)

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:11:32 -0600 Herb Schulz <herbs@INTERACCESS.COM>
writes:
Someone has already suggested a perpetual motion machine
(which doesn't work) using readily available magnetic shielding.
To do this, just connect a wire from wingtip to wingtip of a
transcontental
airplane. Then , using magnetic shelding, cover the return wire that
runs back to the cockpit. As the plane flies horizontally, the wire
cuts magnetic lines of force which are essential vertical across
most of the USA. This will induce a potential difference which can
be used to run the airplanes electrical instrumentation... or even
run electric motors which propel the airplane in place of jet
engines.

Sorry, that won't work either. There is an equal and opposite
potential difference induced on the rest of the wires in the circuit
(i.e., a
circuit is a complete "loop"). You must still have a changing FLUX
THROUGH
THE LOOP to have a potential difference in the round trip.

I know that it won't work, but I wonder if your explanation of WHY it
won't work is correct....... .......????
If we connect a long wire to the terminals of a galvanometer and then
move a small section of this wire between the poles of a horseshoe
magnet,
the wire cuts magnetic lines of force and induces a current in the
galvanometer.
Similarly, if a small section of a wire is stretched from wintip to
wingtip
of an airplane and the rest of the wire is covered by magnetic shielding,
we should have the changing flux through the loop that you say is
necessary.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the earth's magnetic flux lines are essentially vertical)