Re: Leaking 'Static Electricity'

My confusion is that if I run a (cleaned column) VDG, or run a comb through
my hair, I get good results when the air is dry. If I open the door on a
humid day, both of these "clean" sources cease to produce static charge
separation.

So...I'm all ears for a "clean" explanation. Karl

well, I suppose that the 'accumulation' of H2O molecules.on the surface of
the VDG, comb, hair might well depend on the relative humidity of the air?

I really cringe whenever a student sez,

'But since PURE H2O is NOT a conductor, then I'll be safe if the
water is clean!'

I can't see how H2O on ANY surface could be considered 'pure'.

I doesn't take much ionic conduction to create enough conductance to bleed
off these TINY amounts of charge.

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu