Re: Magnitude of feet-scuffing voltage?

I think the static voltage misconception is discussed in Aaron's book on
teaching introductory physics. I recall that the problem is reversed, ie,
that students don't think a "battery" or "power supply" will supply the
charge (voltage) of static machines, like Van de Graaff's. To dispell
this, one does the Q=CV with variable separation parallel plate Capacitor,
but substitutes HV power supplies for static charge machines to supply the
charge (voltage). Alternately, one uses a power supply to "charge" an
electroscope, to show that there is no difference in the *voltage* from
different sources.

Regarding the humidity leaking charge explanation: What is the accepted
mechanism? I know my electrostatics demos don't work when the humidity is
high, so I am guilty of saying that the charge leaks off....Karl