Re: Name The Book

Rick Tarara wrote:

My advice is not to reinvent the wheel here. A number of companies
(Vernier, Pasco, Tel-
Atomic, etc.) have interfaces and detectors designed for the PC/Mac. I
would venture to guess that each has a storeroom somewhere with lots of
'older' versions of this equipment that were originally designed to run on
these old platforms that you might pick up at low cost. It is certainly
worth a try.

Rick Tarara
Vernier has actually written a book on this I think it is something
about "How to build a better mousetrap"
It's fun.
I'd partly agree with Rick. However some of us (and some students) like
the challenge of using the old stuff. There are real problems with
anything on PC's with Windows in the way the system takes over the clock
and messes up timing. I've developed a small timer application that
plugs straight into the games port of a PC and runs under DOS. Milli
second resolution. However to port this to windows in any way demands
that the programme take over the CPU at a much deeper level. (This is a
technically inaccurate descripotion I know, but, I'm a physics teacher
first, programmer second)
Now generally expensive interfaces are needed which do certail pre
processing then pass data to the computer. (I think)
The option some work on is to programme small chips with machine code
instructions. Chps are ~$US5-10 I think. These are the same chips with
ansestors that can cause Y2K problems

***********************
Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software:

NEW WIN 95/98/NT SOFTWARE NOW AVAILABLE!

see http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details.