Re: a couple of points on flight

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, William Beaty wrote:

Here is a central problem: in 2D, the air far upstream from the wing is
flowing horizontally, right? And the air far downstream is also flowing
horizontally, correct? These flows come about through the superposition
of circulation and constant horizontal flight. It seems to me that this
guarantees a ZERO change in momentum of the air. It looks as if the 2D
flow diagram is symmetrical about a vertical line, and upwash exactly
equals downwash.

Maybe we need to remind ourselves that "horizontal" here means "parallel
to the earth's surface." The downward flowing air must eventually meet
the earth in which case it pushes on and imparts "downward" momentum to
the earth. If you stay in the earth's frame it may look like there has
been no change in momentum, but you aren't doing your analysis in an
inertial frame. And while 3D may offer another way around the apparent
dilemma, I don't think it is necessary in order to resolve the paradox.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223