Explanation for Resonant Coupling?

I was wondering if someone could explain the following:

Tie a string horizontally above the ground. Tie two strings with small
balls attached to them (pendulums) to the horizontal string. Set one
pendulum in motion. Gradually it will come to a rest and the second
pendulum will begin oscillating. Then the second stops, the first resumes
and so on.

I was told it had to do with Resonant Coupling, but I still don't fully
understand it.

--Thomas
tmphilip@prontomail.com