Re: VanderGraaff safety (fwd)

Perhaps we should wire the students seats with these things. When you
see them nodding off, talking, giving you wise crack answers, etc.--
ZAPPO!!! Right across their cheeks! How long do you think you'll need
to train 'em??

Sam

Ari Epstein wrote:

Another, much safer way to give your students an electric shock:

Buy one of those electronic training collars they sell for dogs,
and let the students place the probes on their palms. This
works great, and the strength of the shock is adjustable.
(Disadvantage: you need a separate voltmeter to determine the
voltage, and it's not infinitely adjustable.)

We use one from a company called Innotek. At low settings there's
just a mild tingle, and at higher settings there's a significant
jolt. (Interestingly, the dog only needs the very low settings--it's
really just a way to distract him, not to cause him any pain.)

Ari Epstein

--
Sam Sampere
Syracuse University