Re: VanderGraaff safety (fwd)

Most of the resistance which has been discussed here has been "contact
resistance" which varies tremendously with skin moisture, etc.

Some years ago, we used to do the demo: "Students as resistors in series
and parallel". We measured the resistance of one student by getting the
voltage and current as has been described. Then we placed several students
in series to observe the series law of resistance. By switching *who* was
holding *who's* hand, we could make the whole series law fail utterly.
[this was a very valuable learning experience for students, as it caused
them to question what they had just learned/memorized about series
resistances]. Humor was readily had at their expense as we contemplated
whether John and Mary would get swetty palms when holding each other's
hands (and unspoken variations on this theme).

To confirm the contact resistance aspect of this demo, we added beakers of
salt water for each student to first wet their hands in, and later to use
to submerge their hands while making the series measurement. Resistance
drops by at least an order of magnitude.

*However*, as some of you might guess, we tried to be more efficient in
using the beakers of salt water (it was a nuisance to bring out a beaker
for every pair of hands). Without thinking, we "shared a common beaker for
left and right hands, making the conduction directly across the person(s).
...not funny! Kind of like sticking the voltage source in the bathtub!

Bottom line: R for a human is a series combination of body resistance plus
the two contact resistances (and other layers of skin, etc if you want to
get more specific). Contact resistance is extremely variable.

PS you also get the "human battery" effect which modifies the voltage you
are "applying" if you use different material clips (copper alligator on one
and zinc alligator on the other, etc), ie, you are a coper-zinc brine pile.
For VDG voltages this is not significant, of course, but for getting your
guestimate of the value of the person's resistance, it is significant.
Karl