From: Martha Takats <mtakats@ACAD.URSINUS.EDU>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Friday, December 18, 1998 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: MOMENT OF INERTIA

Dan M's energy-conservation derivation is the one I use (so I don't
have to worry about rotation about a moving axis, or an axis that
isn't through the center of mass, etc.). But I still worry about why
there are no non-conservative forces doing work--for example the force
of static friction, which prevents slipping. Can anyone give a SIMPLE
explanation of why we don't have to include it in the work-energy
equation?
We have a nice demonstration in which we use the Cenco wooden disk and
brass hoop (same mass and radius) together with two Pasco 2.2-m dynamics
tracks set up in the front of the lab. The students can verify that the
masses, radii, inclination, starting point are the same, predict which
object will win the race, then run the race. Very effective.
--
Martha Takats
Department of Physics and Astronomy