PHYS-L postings: Text, MIME, HTML, Other

clobbering MIME format, I have just completed some testing on the PHYS-L
server's handling of MIME and HTML formats in both digest and individual
mail modes, with 2 different mailservers at this end and 4 different mail
programs. PHYS-L appears to be functioning correctly in all respects,
including within digests and replies.

IMO anyone experiencing problems with PHYS-L messages should expect to
find the difficulty based close-to-home (your ISP, your local server, your
computer, your mail software, etc.) The NAU LISTSERV setup appears to be
well configured and rock-solid. <APPLAUSE> Dan's tech guys seem to be a
most capable group. </APPLAUSE>

If you do wish to be able to receive messages from PHYS-L in MIME format
when they appear, you need to have a MIME-compliant mailreader. *And* you
need to notify the LISTSERV server at PHYS-L. Send an e-mail to
LISTSERV@LISTS.NAU.EDU with the text message SET PHYS-L MIME

It would probably be better if we all *avoided* MIME and HTML, in
deference to those members who are using text-based mailreaders, even
though the PHYS-L system does function correctly if and when these formats
need to be used. Considering the variety of mailsystems in use across the
'Net, simpler is definitely better for mailing list messages. That means
plain text whenever possible.

Anything other than plain text, MIME text, and HTML text *definitely*
should be sent as an attachment *if at all*. If you have something that
cannot be expressed as e-mail text, it's probably better to mount it on a
webpage ("please use your web browser to check this out") or make it
available offlist ("let me know individually if you would like me to send
this to you") rather than sending it to every listmember.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright
Physics, Physical Science, Internet Teacher
Charlotte High School, 378 State Street, Charlotte MI 48813
<physics@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us> or <science@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us>