Re: MOMENT OF INTERTIA

The most instructive comparison is among rolling objects of the same mass
and the same rolling radius, but of different moments of inertia. If all
of these objects start, at rest, at the top of the same incline they will
all have the same total energy, Mgh. As they proceed to roll down the
plane without slipping, this gravitational potential energy is converted
into both translational kinetic energy , (1/2)*M*V^2, and rotational
kinetic energy, (1/2)*I*w^2=(1/2)*I*(V/R)^2. The object with the
smallest moment of inertia,I, will develop the largest speed V. Ie; the
larger the moment of inertia, the more of mgh must go into rotational
kinetic energy rather than translational kinetic energy.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor