Re: Hell - completely off-topic

D. Simanek has a page describing including the article mentioned as well as
another one refuting it. The URL is:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm

This reminds me of a question I heard many years ago when I was
taking a course in Heat Transfer. "Which is hotter, Heaven or Hell?

The answer is Heaven, whose temperature is 798K (525C),
based upon the verse Isaiah 30:26 which reads:

Moreover the light of the Moon shall be as the light of
the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as
the light of seven days.

and using the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth-power law for radiation:

(H/E)^4 = 50

where E is the temperature (in degrees absolute) of the Earth, 300K.
This gives H, the temperature of Heaven, as 798K (525C).

whereas the temperature of Hell must be less than 444.6C, the
temperature at which brimstone or sulphur changes from a liquid to a
gas. See Revelation 21:8:

But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part
in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone.

A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be below the
boiling point, which s 444.6C. (Above this point it would be a vapour,
not a lake.)

For further details see http://www.john316.com/J316/HUMTEMP.HTM,
where I got some of the above information.

"God does not play dice with the Universe. It's more like whiffle
ball." - Roger Johnson, LANL, cited in APS News
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna.html