whatever

Gang:
I have been having some difficulty getting things posted
on the list. This message is basically just an effort to
see if the server recognizes me with this address and will
therefore post my stuff. But, I hate to let it go at that!

Here goes! Off and on we have had some disucssion about
the displacement current. I remember reading that the
displacement current between the plates of a charging
capacitor is a convenient way to taking into account the
fields due to charges running out onto the plates to
charge the capacitor. It was stated that one may use the
displacement current or the currents in the plates, but not
both for the calculations {of the magnetic field}. Is
this the case? Can anybody explain it to me? Is it in J.
D. Jackson or any of the standard E & M books? I haven't
been able to find it! Happy Holidays!
WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450

There is something fascinating about science. One
gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of
such trifling investments of fact.
Mark Twain
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884