Re: Newton's 2nd law Lab

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU]On Behalf Of James W. Wheeler

And yet we do a force table lab (in my case before any N2 labs) in which
we assign the weight hung from the pulley to be the magnitude of a force
vector whose direction (in 2 dimensions) is measured with a protractor.
This is NOT a swindle, but assumes some degree of common sense or
experience.

Perhaps then, it would be better to not use pulleys in this experiment. It'd
be cleaner to just use two, three or four spring scales (or force sensors, but
that's expensive) on a purely two-dimensional system. Why complicate things
with a third dimension when it is not necessary?

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org KC8IEW
900 B Ridgeway Ave. http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
Morgantown WV 26505 (304) 296-1966 voice (304) 296-5035 fax
USA