interfaces (was A Meeting Notice for NJ Physics Teachers)

At 22:49 30-11-98 -0500, Ed Schweber wrote:

..... where the presenter may begin by leading the group through the
calibration of a force sensor and wind up discussing how to get the Adaptec
SCSI card to work under Windows NT.

I managed to get the SCSI card to work under WNT, but at the cost of using
the ethernet card. Still haven't got round to fixing this.

We are equiped with six 266 Mhz computers (five Dells and a Gateway with
a 31'' monitor), each with Pasco 700 interfaces, a full set of the standard
probes, Interactive Physics, and Microsoft Office Professional.

Yes exactly, the SCSI for the Pasco 700 interface.

We've had a year with a 700 and a 500 interface as a sort of test run, and
have recently acquired another 500 and a new 750 interface. The 750 can use
both serial port (at slower logging rate) and SCSI card (though for some
reason Pasco don't supply the cable for the serial port with the interface).

Which leads me to my question: the 700 and 750 interfaces have maximum data
acquisition rates of 100 kHz, if I remember correctly. I thought this would
be great for, e.g. sampling sounds which could then be put through fft to
find high frequency harmonics. In practice I've found that I can't sample
faster than about 10 kHz, still with some problems. (the sampling rate was
enough for what I wanted to do but worked only in short bursts)

Is the 100 kHz rate a purely digital data transfer rate, or what? In what
circs is this maximum rate used?

Mark

Mark Sylvester
UWC of the Adriatic