Re: speed and velocity

-----Original Message-----
From: Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: speed and velocity
Positive and negative components of accelerations give my students
more trouble than problems related to signs of velocity components.
A v component is positive if an object moves along the axis and
negative otherwise. But for accelerations it is "sometimes one way
and sometimes another", even in one dimension.

Yes, the sign of a one dimensional acceleration vector is always a
problem to intro students. I find that you have to get them to DRAW both
"before" and "after" velocity vectors and GRAPHICALLY subtract them to
SEE the direction of the vector dV; ie what vector dV has to be added
to the vector v1 to get the vector v2?
Then a = dv/dt .

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)