Re: speed and velocity

But I agree with you, Merv, and with what I were saying. For a velocity
component there is only one thing to consider to decide about the
sign. For the acceleration component the direction of motion alone
is not sufficient. That is what confuses students. And, I must admit,
I also make sign errors, occasionally. When this happened I used to
say "this was deliberate, to see who is paying attention". But now I
often say "you see, even your old teacher is wrong sometimes, learn
from errors and try not to repeat them".