Re: speed and velocity

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McInnes <bmcinnes@PNC.COM.AU>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 10:00 PM
Subject: speed and velocity
. . .
(2) This is the more serious problem. So much introductory kinematics
is
based on the very artificial one-dimensional situation, In this context
we
(and text-books) start talking and writing about positive and negative
velocities where what we mean are velocity components, (themselves
scalar
quantities, like speed) along that special direction that we're
pretending
all the action occurs. When a few lessons (chapter)s) later we move to
two
and three dimensional motion, the students find out again ocities
have directions, rather than signs!
. . .

I have always avoided this problem by beginning the intro course with
vectors in 3 dimensions, including unit vectors, components, etc. One
dimensional problems are then introduced as a special case involving only
one dimensional vectors (I still emphasize them as VECTORS). The unit
vector can then always be canceled in any one dimensional vector
equation; the direction of each term is then completely specified by its
sign.

To emphasize all this I explicitly write a unit vector with each term of
a one dimensional equation until it sinks in that it is superfluous
notation (but not a superfluous concept; we are still talking about
directed vectors). With care, one can in fact view the plus/minus signs
as one-dimensional unit vectors.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)