Re: What time is it?

Are the times shown in messages on this list meaningful to anyone?
For example, this was the date/time group on a recent message: "Mon,
23 Nov 1998 09:38:51 -0600". Was this the local time of transmission?

Yes. 9:38:51 is local time

If so, how do we know what time zone the sender is in? Given that we
have a worldwide audience, I would think that the times would be GMT.
If they are, then the message referred to above is many hours old.

And what is the final -0600 in the date/time group?

This is the offset from GMT, from this you can work out the sending time
zone.

There was an article on page 299 of November 3 1998 issue of PC Magazine
which explains email headers in some detail.

Br. Robert W. Harris
Catholic Memorial High School
rwharris@cath-mem.org
http://www.cath-mem.org/cath-mem/physics/contents.htm