Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:32:16 -0700
From: Elizabeth & George Scott <acces@smartt.com>
Subject: Needy post-secondary students
To: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@asu.edu>

Hello, Jane,

We are delighted that you plan to post information about the need to provide
scholarships to Kenyan young people and about how to arrange such a
scholarship through ACCES.

For every student who can be given an ACCES scholarship, at least five more
have qualified - that is, their academic credentials are acceptable and
their need is great - but they are turned away because the funds are
limited. And those who apply to ACCES are only the ones that have heard of
ACCES and not nearly all of those who need a scholarship. There is an
endless demand for assistance, but a limited supply. The figure I have given
you is in no way an accurate one, but gives an idea of the need that exists.

Many Canadians also talk of the poor people we have here, but there is just
no comparison between Canadian poverty and Kenyan poverty. We are glad that
you have some conception of the need that exists and are doing what you can
to help.

With thanks, George and Beth
If you'd like to phone them to ask for a brochure and newsletter, their
phone number is (604) 538-7267.

Beth Scott, President
ACCES
2441 Christopherson Road
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada V4A 3L2

e-mail: Elizabeth & George Scott <acces@smartt.com>

A scholarship is $250 in American dollars (that's $360 in Canadian
dollars). I like sponsoring 2 students; it reminds me of how much we have
and how great their need is. The scholarship makes a huge difference in
their lives!
cheers,
Jane

Jane Jackson, Dir., Modeling Workshop Project
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287.
602-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu

We know the truth not only by reason but by the heart.
Blaise Pascal, French mathematician