Re: distance learning

Daniel L. MacIsaac wrote:

Derek:

...is FirstClass the package that REQUIRES specific FirstClass client
software to use on your machine? WebCT at least has the grace to be pure
HTML running on any browser without plug-ins. Last time I saw FC it wasn't
HTML at all, although that may have changed in the year since I last
looked at it...

Dan M

Finally got around to replying. Yes it requires seperate client
software, it is not pure HTML.
I was unsure of the significance of this.

Running without plugins is an advantage, however I'm not sure how much.
We had Mac and PC setups on our course, both downloaded the software and
got up and running without a hitch. The look and feel is also
important. I've seen two versions of FC - one is really nive (the MSU
one) but a local version on someone's system here in christchurch is
nowhere near as good.

Dan: is there a site that you know of with a friendly person who might
let me have a look at WebCT running? I'm assuming there is a password
issue.

And just to bring a little closure to this: I presume from the thread
before theat FirstClass and WebCT are the main significant options?

Regards,

Derek

Derek Chirnside d.chirnside@phys.canterbury.ac.nz
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Currently on loan from Shirley Boys High School

Ph: +64 3 364 2987 Ext 7561
Fax: +64 3 364 2469
chirnsideD@mars.shirley.school.nz will find me after hours