Help with an experiment

Fellow Listserv members;

Please respond to me OFF LINE if you can help us on a project in the
following way:

Can you leave a computer turned on over the weekend for two weekends
(between now and Chirstmas) which has TCP/IP connection to the internet AND
has a ULI (from Vernier) with a light probe connected to it with the probe
near a window or sticking out of a window (or temp probe if you don't have
a window)?

Here is what we are up to:
We want to test the feasability (and difficulties) of remotely collecting
data from widely distributed sites via the internet. This will require a
small program to run in the background on your computer (but I promise you
will notice extreamly little if any performance degredation).

What could this be good for?
Suppose a large number of computers on the internet had several probes
hooked up (say, radiation, light intensity, magnetic field, etc.) and were
left on all the time. One person might decide to sample the noon solar
intensity every day in one county in CA for an entire year. Another person
might study the variation of solar intensity across the US in a 24hr
period. Local and global variations in the earths magnetic field (if any)
might be examined over short or long time periods. Radiation spread from a
nuclear test could be monitored world wide and correlated with weather
changes. The neat thing is ANYONE who had a list of the locations (IP
numbers) of the sites could do whatever study they wanted to without
bothering the owner of the computer at all, as long as everyone agreed to
have the same probes available.

If you are willing to participate let me know, I (hope I) will discuss the
results at the AAPT winter meeting in CA. in Jan.

kyle

kyle forinash 812-941-2390
forinas@indiana.edu
Natural Science Division