Re: Textbooks

At 9:49 PM on 11/9/98, Roger Freedman wrote:

Ed Schweber wrote:

This reminds me of the time I came across a first edition of Thomas's
calculus book. It was a solid gray bound tome with well done line diagrams
that sent a clear message that you are now playing with the grownups and
learning very serious material.

A few years ago, after several comments like Ed's, the publishers
(Addison-Wesley) reprinted the first edition of Thomas to see whether there
was a market for a calculus textbook from "the good old days." The answer
turned out to be a resounding "no." The total number of instructors who
adopted the book was no more than three, and Addison-Wesley dropped the
reprint.

What did they charge for the book? If Dover published it for 7-8$ it might
be chosen by at least a part of the market over the $80 multi-color texts
of today.

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB
Santa Barbara CA 93106-9530

E-mail: airboy@physics.ucsb.edu
WWW: http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~airboy/
Voice: (805) 893-2345
FAX: (805) 893-3307
Voicemail: (800) 344-3147 x4322

J. D. (Chip) Sample Lockheed Martin Astronautics
(303) 471-2808 (303) 971-2744
sample@idcomm.com john.d.sample@LMCO.com