any thoughts on this?

From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@velocity.net>

Begin quote:

"The irrational number is a much neglected topic in the history of
thought and a troublesome member of our number system. . . . Such
numbers must be used in order to represent lengths and they are,
moreover, explicitly and implicitly involved in almost all of
mathematics. Yet how can we add, subtract, multiply, or divide such
numbers? For example, how can we add 2 and sqr(2)? How do we divide
sqr(7) by sqr(2)?

[rest of the quote snipped...]

Darwin Z. Palima
University of the Philippines